Cave of Agios Dionysios
Following Ε4 and leaving behind Palaia Moni, the monastery of Agios Dionysios, we reach Holly Cave, the saint’s hermitage, visited by many pilgrims within a year.
Tekke Hasan Mpampa | Tempi
The Mausoleum of Hasan Baba, in the village of Tempi, is an ottoman building constructed by the end of the 14th early 15th century. The monastic complex of dervishes included apart from Hasan Baba’s mausoleum, a mosque and a dormitory. The monument, which was partially renovated, is not open to the public.
The inn of Chatzigogos. In 1912, during the battle of Sarantaporo, it was the commanding office of the Greek army; today it is used as a museum.
The battle of Sarantaporo:
The Greek army began the war against the Turks in Elassona. In October 1912, armies of the four Balkan allied countries simultaneously invaded Europe. The Greek army freed Deskati and reached the straits of Sarantaporo. The Turks gathered together all their forces. A frontal attack took place in the Sarantaporo area and on 3 October, after being surrounded, the Turks abandoned their arms and ammunition and fled. The Greek army in Sarantaporo wrote the first epopee of the victorious war of 1912-1913.
Ottoman mosque of Elassona
The Ottoman mosque in the Varosi suburb.
Oikonomios School | Tsaritsani
The Oikonomios School was founded in 1790; significant personalities taught there such as K. Koumas, D. Pezaros and Konstantinos Oikonomou Ex Oikonomon.Konstantinos Oikonomou was born on 27 August 1780 in Tsaritsani. His scholarly father taught him the holy scriptures and the Greek and Latin language. He was taught French by Zisis Kavras. He was an excellent writer, teacher and orator. Konstantinos Oikonomou wrote the eulogies for the Patriarch from Odessa, and for Theodoros Kolokotronis. He was a prolific writer. Some of his manuscripts, however, went missing in Constantinople after the persecution of 1821. When he was in Russia, still at an early age, he became fluent in the Russian language and published a paper on the relation between Russian-Slavic and Greek. He was a member of the imperial Academy of St Petersburg and a corresponding member of the Berlin Academy. He died in Athens on 9 March 1857.
Old Monastery of Agios Dionysios
The monastery of Agia Triada of Olympus was restored by the monk, saint of the orthodox church, Dionysus, in 1543, at the gully of Enipeas, at the place where there was an older Byzantine monastery with the same name. The Thessalian blessed Dionysus the young (from Drakotripa Karditsas), before the establishment of the coenobium on Olympus, he had been a monk at Meteora and an abbot at the monastery of Philotheos at Mt. Athos, having the reputation of a literate ascetic and calligrapher. The Turks destroyed the monastery several times due to fires and raids, since it had been a base of Macedonian thieves. It was devastated in 1943 by the German occupation troops, who considered as a centre of national resistance on Olympus. As for the old monastery, the ruins of the catholic (of the central church), an 18th century building, and of the northern wing together with the altar and the monastery’s tower are still preserved.