The-Mount-Olympus_logo.jpg

placeS

Church of Panagia | Pythio

Church of Panagia | Pythio
The Church of Panagia at Pythio, next to the cemetery, was the main church for the monastery of The Dormition of the Mother of God, which was destroyed at the end of the 18th century. The church, a three-aisled basilica with a narthex and exonarthex, is one of the most important post-Byzantine monuments of North Thessaly, as it maintains architectural elements from the 11th and 12th century, as well as four freso phases, spanning from the 16th to 18th century. The older painted decoration is of the 16th century, found in the north part of the narthex. It depicts the Second Coming, scenes from the Passion of Christ, and various saints. The main church, according to inscription, was frescoed in 1638. Its iconostasis is divided into three parts. The side parts are painted and date back to the 16th century, while the central part is carved in wood and was built in the 17th century. In the courtyard, there are architectural remains of the old monastery, a wing of cells with an underground vaulted storeroom, and a circular bell tower. In an excavation of the old monastery’s cemetery, next to the church, several notable grave goods were found, such as glazed clay cups with depictions of birds and geometric designs, which date back to the 11th or 12th century. The Church of Panagia at Pythio was structurally reinforced and its frescoes were preserved by the archaeological services in an exemplary manner during the first quarter of the 20th century. The Church of Panagia at Pythio, next to the cemetery, was the main church for the monastery of The Dormition of the Mother of God, which was destroyed at the end of the 18th century. The church, a three-aisled basilica with a narthex and exonarthex, is one of the most important post-Byzantine monuments of North Thessaly, as it maintains architectural elements from the 11th and 12th century, as well as four freso phases, spanning from the 16th to 18th century. The older painted decoration is of the 16th century, found in the north part of the narthex. It depicts the Second Coming, scenes from the Passion of Christ, and various saints. The main church, according to inscription, was frescoed in 1638. Its iconostasis is divided into three parts. The side parts are painted and date back to the 16th century, while the central part is carved in wood and was built in the 17th century. In the courtyard, there are architectural remains of the old monastery, a wing of cells with an underground vaulted storeroom, and a circular bell tower. In an excavation of the old monastery’s cemetery, next to the church, several notable grave goods were found, such as glazed clay cups with depictions of birds and geometric designs, which date back to the 11th or 12th century. The Church of Panagia at Pythio was structurally reinforced and its frescoes were preserved by the archaeological services in an exemplary manner during the first quarter of the 20th century.
CATEGORIES
MOST POPULAR

Monastery of Agia Triada | Vrontou

Olympus Ski Center (Vrysopoules)

Rapsani

Cave of Agios Dionysios

PLACES

MORE PLACES

Ithakisios cave

Cave

Naoum caves

Cave

Stefani peak

Peak

Stomio

Village

Tempi

Village

Tsaritsani

Village

Enipeas Gorge

Gorge

Gorge of Orlia

Gorge, Canyon, river

error: Content is protected !!