The inn of Chatzigogos. In 1912, during the battle of Sarantaporo, it was the commanding office of the Greek army; today it is used as a museum.
The battle of Sarantaporo:
The Greek army began the war against the Turks in Elassona. In October 1912, armies of the four Balkan allied countries simultaneously invaded Europe. The Greek army freed Deskati and reached the straits of Sarantaporo. The Turks gathered together all their forces. A frontal attack took place in the Sarantaporo area and on 3 October, after being surrounded, the Turks abandoned their arms and ammunition and fled. The Greek army in Sarantaporo wrote the first epopee of the victorious war of 1912-1913.
Museum of Georgakis Olympios | Livadi
Giorgakis Olympios was born in Livadi in 1772 and lived until 1821. He was the ‘Apostle’ of the ‘Philiki Eteria’ (Society of Friends) in Serbia and took part in Ypsilantis’ movement in Moldovlachia. Giorgakis Olympios met with an honourable death during the siege of the Sekou Monastery, when he blew up the monastery’s bell tower. His home, in the village square, is today open as a museum where material related to the local folklore is collected.
Maritime museum of Litochoro
The maritime museum of Litochoro sheds light on an unknown side of the mountain town: the seafaring. This was the main occupation of the inhabitants from the 17th to the 19th century! Photographs, casts, and drawings of old sailing ships as well as various evidence (ship logs, marine contracts, marine sheets, sailors’ photographs, ship equipment and other items) from sailors’ families, ships and, generally, the maritime history of Litochoro.
According to the tradition, the first sailors came from Raedestos, Thrace, in the 15th century. During the centuries to follow and the Turkish occupation, Litochoro became a shelter to a lot of sailors chased away from all over the Aegean and the Ionian islands. During its flourishing period i.e. in the beginning of the 19th century, Litochoro owned a remarkable fleet of locally-built sailing ships, counting 150 to 200 small and large ships. Up to the first decades of the 20th century, the ships of Litochoro carried out the sea transport of Thessaloniki and the Holy Mountain while there are also captains who funded the construction of schools and churches in the town.
Folklore museum of Livadi
The Folklore Museum of Livadi contains numerous artifacts, old tools, photographs and objects reflecting the locals’ daily life.
Georgios Schwartz mansion | Ampelakia
Schwartz’s mansion was the residence of the leader of the “Common Company and Brotherhood of Ambelakia”, a pioneering organization for its time, which housed the offices, the accounting department and the safe of the world’s first capitalist cooperative. According to the surviving inscriptions, the mansion was founded in May 1787 and was completed in 1803. Constructed by Macedonian craftsmen, it is the best-preserved of the village’s mansions. It is currently used as a museum space. It has three floors and its floor plan is L-shaped. Inside the building, the signs of the influence of the Central European decoration are evident, through painted walls, colors, representations, ornate fireplaces and hidden cupboards.
Archaeological Museum of Dion
The Archaeological Museum of Dion, inaugurated in 1983, offers a thorough picture of the daily life and culture of the inhabitants of ancient Dion, from the Iron Age (1000-700 BC) to the early Christian centuries. The exhibits originate from the archaeological area of Dion and the wider area of Pieria. The three rooms of the museum feature grouped exhibits such as statues, tomb sculptures, architectural members, inscriptions, vessels, mosaics, coins and other items found mainly in the wider area of Dion. In the spacious ground floor, there are findings from the Roman baths and the sanctuaries of Demeter and Isis. The visitor can also admire an exquisite finding dating to the 1st century BC, a unique musical instrument of antiquity, the famous hydraulis (water organ) of Dion, brought to light during archaeological excavations in 1992. The bronze tubes of the instrument and the entire sound-producing system have survived.