In the plain of Elassona and at a short distance from the town, we come to Tsaritsani that is famous for its greatness in the arts and letters. It reached its peak development in 1750 to 1830, when its residents became involved in red-cotton dying and silk farming.
The village is split down the middle by the Xairias stream and there is a bridge connecting its two parts. The large building, behind the statue of the teacher of the nation and benefactor of Tsaritsani, Konstantinos Oikonomou Ex’ Oikonomon, is the Oikonomios School that was built in 1910 on the ruins of his home.
Tower of Mamtzios | Tsaritsani
The restored tower of Mamtziou, to the north-west of the village, is an old stone building which is 14m tall, and has a raised ground floor, basements and three floors, the last of which is double in size. The flooring is made of wooden boards and beams. There also used to be wooden staircases. In total there are 84 embrasures on all floors, which helped to repel the frequent attacks from Albanians, who came from the regions of Kolonia and Erseka.
Church of Agios Nikolaos | Tsaritsani
The church of Agios Nikolaos at Tsaritsani was built in the 16th century. Internally, the church is covered in rare murals. Particularly noteworthy is the ‘zodiac’P, the ‘time of year’, and the ‘root of Jesse’, a huge composition that is 5.5m long and includes ninety figures, amongst which twelve full-size wise men from Antiquity.