In a rocky cavern, near the monastery of Agia Triada in Vrontou, there is the chapel of Agia Kori, where there is also a spring-holy water, surrounded by an impressive scenery of shady trees.
Following Ε4 and leaving behind Palaia Moni, the monastery of Agios Dionysios, we reach Holly Cave, the saint’s hermitage, visited by many pilgrims within a year.
The monastery of Agia Triada of Olympus was restored by the monk, saint of the orthodox church, Dionysus, in 1543, at the gully of Enipeas, at the place where there was an older Byzantine monastery with the same name. The Thessalian blessed Dionysus the young (from Drakotripa Karditsas), before the establishment of the coenobium on Olympus, he had been a monk at Meteora and an abbot at the monastery of Philotheos at Mt. Athos, having the reputation of a literate ascetic and calligrapher. The Turks destroyed the monastery several times due to fires and raids, since it had been a base of Macedonian thieves. It was devastated in 1943 by the German occupation troops, who considered as a centre of national resistance on Olympus. As for the old monastery, the ruins of the catholic (of the central church), an 18th century building, and of the northern wing together with the altar and the monastery’s tower are still preserved.
The small church of Agios Athanasios is built at the highest point of the village Kallipefki. It is overlooking the plateau of the drained lake Askourida on the one side and the dense woods of Κato Olympus on the other.
Agios Dimitrios in Dion is a single-aisled church with an open portico on both sides, most probably built during the 16th century. In its western facade, murals created back in 1740 still survive.
The church of Agios Nikolaos at Tsaritsani was built in the 16th century. Internally, the church is covered in rare murals. Particularly noteworthy is the ‘zodiac’P, the ‘time of year’, and the ‘root of Jesse’, a huge composition that is 5.5m long and includes ninety figures, amongst which twelve full-size wise men from Antiquity.